I’m always amazed when I step on a plane and, x hours later, end up in a place with a completely different culture, climate, and people. Coming to Hong Kong mostly means stepping off the plane and being hit in the face with intense humidity, and being tossed into the hustle and bustle of travelers passing through Hong Kong International Airport. I always forget how much of a fast-paced city Hong Kong is until I’m here; I miss it when I’m gone, but am too intimidated by it when I’m back. Regardless of Hong Kong’s unending and never changing speediness that I can’t seem to keep up with, it’s really nice to be home. It’s nice to have home-cooked meals, HBO On Demand, my lovely but occasionally nagging family members, my dogs to cuddle, and a great big bath tub for great big bubble baths. Oh, and 24/7 access to my beloved bookshelf. I seem to have a book buying habit that I can’t get rid of- if I enter a book store, it seems as if the only way I can leave the store is by buying a book- a habit that seems to have beautifully manifested itself via my shelf!
No recipe today- there will be one tomorrow! Today I want to thank the lovely Married in Marrickville for nominating Life Is Like A Dumpling for the Liebster Award! Thank you for sharing the blog love! If you have time, you should definitely check out her blog. She comes from a Russian, Greek, and Italian background and shares her wonderful foodie and kitchen adventures in Australia 🙂
Post 11 random facts about yourself.
Answer the 11 questions made by the person who nominated you.
Create 11 questions for the bloggers you pass the award to.
Choose 11 bloggers to pass the award to and mention them in your post.
Go to their blogs and let them know that they have been nominated.
No tag backs.
11 random facts about me:
1. I have trouble picking things. It bothers me when I have to pick something- I’ll only pick something if I feel very strongly/opinionated about it.
2. I have a purple blanket that I use as a shawl, blanket, and skirt. I essentially walk around the house wrapped in this soft purple blanket.
3. I think red velvet cupcakes/cake is overrated.
4. I want a whole set of Le Creuset dishware.
5. I also want a KitchenAid mixer.
6. I have very small feet: my feet are a 35, or a US 5 and UK 3.
7. I’m a huge fan of Beyoncé… and Jay-Z… and Blue Ivy Carter… Basically the entire Carter clan.
8. If I have trouble sleeping, my solution is 10mg of melatonin. Knocks me out for at least 8 hours!
9. I like to think that I’m quite spiritual. I’m not particularly religious, but am agnostic and believe that a higher power exists. I’m just not quite sure what that higher power is (for me) yet.
10. I believe that you should always do what makes you happiest. Sometimes this is hard for me to apply in my everyday life, but I try my best!
Questions for me from MIM:
- Savory or sweet?
Ooo, this is a tough one. My favourite meals or dishes are definitely those that are able to combine both savoury and sweet together! I’d say I have a bigger sweet tooth, though.
- Favourite travel destination?
I’d say anywhere new, but one of the coolest places I’ve been to is Istanbul in Turkey. There’s a fabulous restaurant called the Ciya Sofrasi- I’d fly all the way back to Istanbul just to eat there. The architecture and mosques are beautiful, and the Turkish delight and baklava are just so, so delicious. It has everything I want in a travel destination: great culture, architecture, and of course, food!
- Most memorable dining experience?
Last summer I visited my boyfriend in St. Louis, and he took me to a restaurant called Acero. It is probably one of the best meals I’ve ever had- it was a beautiful, divine, mouthwatering four course meal. The highlights of the meal were a giant ravioli filled with an egg and ricotta, and one of the best melty chocolate cakes I’ve ever had for dessert. I believe my other two courses were a salad and seared scallops with truffle salt. Mm, it was very, very good. The food at Acero was amazing, but this visit occurred after not having seen my boyfriend for the entire summer, so the entire experience of being with him and having a 10/10 meal has probably made it my most memorable dining experience.
- If you could have one Chef to cook for you, who would it be?
It’d have to be either Nigella Lawson or Anthony Bourdain. Unfortunately both of them seem to be pretty big meat eaters, so since I’m a vegetarian, I might have to pick either the wonderful Sarah Britton of My New Roots (who taught me art in high school!) or David and Luise from Green Kitchen Stories. Those are two of my favourite food blogs on the interwebs! Or… maybe Mary Berry from the Great British Bake Off!
- Favourite post on your blog?
I think summer pavlova 🙂
- Your favourite cookbook is?
Kitchen by Nigella Lawson.
- Your dream job?
To open my own bookshop-café/restaurant and work in it. It would serve the best comfort food ever!
- A garden salad or a greasy bacon sandwich?
Since I’m vegetarian, a garden salad.
- Which blog do you follow religiously?
Besides the two I’ve previously named for question 4, Hummingbird High.
- What is the one thing you keep putting off?
Returning my library books.
- Favorite ingredient to cook with?
Garlic! Lots and lots of garlic!
The Liebster Award is awarded to those who have less than 200 followers; while I have 260 or so followers including those on Tumblr, WordPress, and Twitter, I’ve only got 95 on WordPress thus far. So today I’m passing on the love to the following 11 bloggers! They’re all great blogs and you should pay each of them a visit 🙂
Questions I have for my nominees:
1. What is your favourite book?
2. What is your most memorable dining experience?
3. Favourite cuisine?
4. What is your favourite meal of the day?
5. What is your least favourite food?
6. Do you prefer cooking for yourself, or others?
7. Favourite blogs on the internet?
8. One place you would love to travel to?
9. Casual dining or fine dining?
10. Salt or pepper?
11. Spicy food: yes or no?
I’d like to nominate…
1. Keen On Greens
2. A French Girl “Cuisine”
4. The Professional Eavesdropper
5. One Step. One Bite.
6. The Swindian
7. Herbivorous Greek
8. The Passionfruit Project
9. Gypsy Roller’s Veggie Kitchen
10. The Pud-Hog Blog
11. Rood on Food
Wishing you much love and happy kitchen adventures,